International Housing Group Study Trip 2019: Freiburg, Germany24 June 2019
The Housing Forum is delighted to be joining forces with the CIH SE International Group to offer a study tour of one of the world’s greenest cities.
16 - 18 October 2019
One of the greenest cities in the world with a record of sustainable housing development, Freiburg is a must visit destination for those interested in how we develop places and homes to meet the challenges of climate change, affordability, health and wellbeing.
As well as being a fantastic opportunity to learn, the International Group trips have a reputation for developing strong networks across housing attracting both senior and emerging leaders.
This trip will be particularly relevant to staff and senior managers working in policy, asset management, sustainability, development and regeneration. Our visit is planned include a range of activities and site visits, looking at:
- Sustainable development
- Integrated transport systems
- Off-site manufacture
- Urban design
- Community engagement
Cost, accommodation and flights
The price payable to the CIH is £315pp based on single occupancy or £225pp based on two sharing. Price includes accommodation at Holiday Inn Express Freiburg, tour programme and group dinner on 17 October. Travel costs not included.
Getting to Freiburg: Easyjet has morning flights to Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg from both Luton and Gatwick. There are hourly buses from the airport to Freiburg. Alternatively it is possible to travel by Eurostar via Paris and Strasbourg.
Total costs (including travel and subsistence) are estimated at £455 sole occupancy and £365 sharing.
If you are interested in joining us, please contact CIHSEInternational@gmail.com for an application form. Completed application forms with a £100 deposit must be received by 31st July.
Places are limited so please confirm your interest as soon as possible.
Wednesday 16 October
- 1:30pm-2:30pm arrival Holiday Inn Express, Freiburg
- 3:00pm – 5:30pm
- Welcome. Followed by visit to council offices for presentation of city property developments.
- Visit to Stakeholder Bank
Thursday 17 October
- Introduction to the historical background of Freiburg's environmental and urban development policy.
- Travel by tram to Platz der Alten Synagoge tour of the integrated mobility strategy
- Tour of Vauban eco-model district, showing how to integrate different aspects of sustainability into the development of a neighbourhood: sustainable construction, low-car use, ecological open space planning, civic participation and self-organized assemblies, social infrastructure and mix of uses;
- Tram ride to the Rieselfeld, the second model district of Freiburg, as well as explanations on the planned climate-neutral district of Dietenbach
- Visit to passivehaus standard high-rise building Bugginger Straße 50 and the town hall in the Stühlinger, the new net plus energy management building with explanations on structural and technical concept
- Group Dinner (food included in price)
Friday 18 October
- 8:30 - 2:00 - Planned visit to Rombach, CLT off-site manufacturer
- Visit to local housing association.
Please note the itinerary is subject to alteration and addition depending on availability of organisations